Chris Whitty’s attacker Jonathan Chew faces jail after admitting to harassing health boss & grabbing him in the street

A YOB is facing a prison sentence after today pleading guilty to attacking Chris Whitty in a park at the peak of the pandemic.

Jonathan Chew, 24, admitted that he drunkenly accosted England chief medical officer in St James’ Park in June last year.

Rights reserved
JOnathan Chew admitted harrasing Chris Whitty today at court[/caption]
He is one of two men who appraoched the Chief Medical officer last year[/caption]

Chew today pleaded guilty to one count of intention to cause harassment, alarm or distress to Sir Chris and obstructing a policer officer.

Footage of Chew, along with his pal Lewis Hughes, shot on a mobile phone show the pair surrounding Whitty as they shout “oi oi” and ask him for a photograph.

Estate agent Hughes has already admitted assault over the incident, having put Sir Chris in a headlock, and was handed a suspended prison sentence.

Hughes claimed he just wanted to take a “selfie” with the medic so he could show his mum.

Prof Whitty said he did not want to make a formal complaint after the incident.

Westminster Magistrates Court was shown CCTV footage of the two men as they walked towards the park and came across Sir Chris in a “chance encounter”.

Prosecutor Iestyn Morgan told the court: “Professor Whitty saw two people approaching him, Lewis Hughes asked for a photo.

“Professor Whitty replied ‘no’ as he always does in these circumstances. Lewis Hughes placed his arm around Professor Whitty, and this defendant, Jonathan Chew, stepped in front of Professor Whitty.

“He was filming the matter on a camera, and Professor Whitty noted the smell of alcohol on the two men.

“Professor Whitty tried pushing through them to the safety of what he saw nearby, being a number of police constables.”

The pair were at an anti-lockdown protest in central London on Sunday when they spotted the top medic.

Shocking footage then showed them putting Prof Whitty in a headlock as he desperately tried to get away.

Officers were able to track down Chew after he told The Sun that he wanted Prime Minister Boris Johnson apologise to him.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson branded the pair as “despicable thugs” shortly after the incident took place.


At the time he said: “I don’t think we did anything wrong, we just saw him, and thought that’s the guy from the TV. He’s been on our screens every-day for the last year, he’s famous.

“We just wanted a selfie that was it, I don’t think he wanted to take the photo but I don’t think we did anything wrong.

“People in the street recognised me and have been having a go since the video has gone online. It has affected my mental health.”

Initially Chew gave his brother’s name and address, which the court heard caused a “waste” of police time and resources.

He has a catalogue of previous offences, committed under 17 different aliases, and including public order and offences against the person.

Chew was on licence at the time of the incident, from a 42-month prison sentence for intimidating a juror with intent to pervert the course of justice.

Public Order Offences can result in a maximum sentence of 26 weeks in prison.

Chew previously appeared in court via video link topless, with his lawyer quitting for “professional reasons”.

Doug Seeburg
Lewis Hughes apologised after the incident went viral[/caption]
Central News
He claimed that he just wanted a selfie with the civil servant for his mum[/caption]
Doug Seeburg
Chew is facing a jail term for his part in the offence[/caption]

* Read the full story...This article was originally published h

Who will be Next to leave the EU? Check out who is leading in our exclusive poll Poll


Popular posts from this blog