Elderly with medical conditions including arthritis can claim £358 a month on top of state pension – here’s how

BRITS over state pension age who suffer from a medical condition may be able to claim benefits worth £358 a month on top of their state pension.

The attendance allowance is designed to help with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

OIder people with medical conditions can claim thousands of pounds a year[/caption]

There are two different rates, depending on the level of care needed.

The lower rate is worth £60 a week, while the higher rate comes in at £89.60 each week.

Over a whole year, the higher rate benefit adds up to £4,659.20, so it’s well worth putting in a claim if you think you might be eligible.

There are 57 categories of medical conditions you can claim with, but the most commonly used ones are arthritis (30%) and dementia (8%).

The latest figures show that over 50,000 retirees claim the monthly benefit for muscle, joint or back pain.

You can also claim for mental health conditions and learning difficulties.

Around 1.4million people are already claiming the benefit, but not everyone who’s eligible claims.

Here’s everything you need to know including the qualifying criteria and how to apply:

To get attendance allowance you need to be:

You cannot get Attendance Allowance if you already get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

To qualify for the lower amount, you need to require frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night.

You get the higher amount if you need help or supervision throughout both day and night, or if you’re terminally ill.

Usually, you need to have needed help with your condition for more than six months to get the benefit, but this is waived if you’re terminally ill.

You don’t need to have a carer in order to claim, but if you do, they could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

You can’t get Attendance Allowance if you live in a care home and your care is paid for by your local authority.

However, you can still claim if you pay for all your care home costs yourself.

To qualify, you also need to be in Great Britain when you claim, unless you’re in the armed forces.

You need to have been in Great Britain for at least two of the last three years and be habitually resident in the UK.

However, you might still be able to get Attendance Allowance if you’re a UK national and you live in or move to the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

The full list of categories you can claim for are:

  • Arthritis
  • Spondylosis
  • Back Pain – Other / Precise Diagnosis not Specified
  • Disease of The Muscles, Bones or Joints
  • Trauma to Limbs
  • Blindness
  • Deafness
  • Heart disease
  • Chest disease
  • Asthma
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Peripheral vascular Disease
  • Epilepsy
  • Neurological Diseases
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Parkinsons Disease
  • Motor Neurone Disease
  • Chronic Pain Syndromes
  • Diabetes Mellitus
  • Metabolic Disease
  • Traumatic Paraplegia/Tetraplegia
  • Major Trauma Other than Traumatic Paraplegia/Tetraplegia
  • Learning Difficulties
  • Psychosis
  • Psychoneurosis
  • Personality Disorder
  • Dementia
  • Behavioural Disorder
  • Alcohol and Drug Abuse
  • Hyperkinetic Syndrome
  • Renal Disorders
  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
  • Bowel and Stomach Disease
  • Blood Disorders
  • Haemophilia
  • Multi System Disorders
  • Multiple Allergy Syndrome
  • Skin Disease
  • Malignant Disease
  • Severely Mentally impaired
  • Double Amputee
  • Deaf/Blind
  • Haemodialysis
  • Frailty
  • Total Parenteral Nutrition
  • AIDS
  • Infectious diseases: Viral disease – Coronavirus covid-19
  • Infectious diseases: Viral disease – precise diagnosis not specified
  • Infectious diseases: Bacterial disease – Tuberculosis
  • Infectious diseases: Bacterial disease – precise diagnosis not specified
  • Infectious diseases: Protozoal disease – Malaria
  • Infectious diseases: Protozoal disease – other / precise diagnosis not specified
  • Infectious diseases – other / precise diagnosis not specified
  • Cognitive disorder – other / precise diagnosis not specified
  • Terminally Ill

If your circumstances change, you could get a different rate, so it’s very important to report any changes to the government.

Signing up for attendance allowance may also boost any other benefits you get.

For instance, you could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or a council tax reduction.

The money is paid into your bank, building society or credit union account.

To claim you need to fill in an Attendance Allowance claim form/

You need to send the completed form to: Freepost DWP Attendance AllowanceYou don’t need a postcode or a stamp.


We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Money team?

Email us at money@the-sun.co.uk

* Read the full story...This article was originally published h

Who will be Next to leave the EU? Check out who is leading in our exclusive poll Poll


Popular posts from this blog