Happy #PositiveTwitterDay Everyone!
Today marks the ninth annual #PositiveTwitterDay, wthe day when we all try to be a bit nicer on the sometimes hellish social media platform. Guido and co-conspirators will be trying to engage even more civilly than normal today with cyber-nats, remainers, anti-vaxxers, socialists and wokesters…
Sunder Katwala has some thoughts on how you can play a part in making Twitter a more civil space on # today and participate in a number of ways:
- Try to have a conversation, not a shouting match, with someone with whom you don’t agree. Caps lock off.
- Tweet about somebody on the other side of a big debate – but whose views and perspective you have learnt something from, because of how they engage.
- Share a positive experience of using Twitter – how people rallied round to support you personally, or how it helped you spread the word about something that really mattered.
- Or just join in the discussion and show your support with the #PositiveTwitterDay hashtag.
Social media, or at least UK political Twitter, is a little less angry than it was during the Corbyn era or in the period between the referendum and Brexit. Use Positive Twitter Day to spark a broader conversation – on Twitter and elsewhere – about how we, as users, can shape the norms that we want on social media. Help spread a bit of civility in these polarised times. Twitter can be a place for the exchange of information rather than the abuse of political opponents. To tweet your support just click this link #PositiveTwitterDay
* This article was originally published by Guido Fawkes
Who will be Next to leave the EU? Check out who is leading in our exclusive poll Poll